Skip to main content

Burn Permits

May contain: fire, bonfire, and flame

Burn Permit 

Starting December 5, 2019 burning is permited in Tuolumne County.   Burning is allowed on Permisive Burn Days as established by the Air Polution Control District.  Call 209-533-5598 for burn day details.

A burn permit is required to conduct residential debris burning which may be obtained through the Mi Wuk Sugar Pine Fire Station.  Please contact the station (209) 586-5256 for details and when the best time would be to stop by and pick up your burn permit,  

  • Only dry, natural vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned.
  • The burning of trash, painted wood or other debris is not allowed.
  • Do NOT burn on windy days.
  • Piles shall be no larger than four feet in diameter and in height.
  • Clear a 10-foot diameter down to bare soil around your piles.
  • Have a shovel and a water source nearby.
  • An adult is required to be in attendance of the fire at all times. 

Please check burn day status by calling the in Tuolumne County Air Pollution Control District (209) 533-5598.

"The #1 cause of fires in Tuolumne and Calavaras County's are people not following the burn permit rules"

   -Andrew Murphy, Assistant Chief CALFire TCU

CAL FIRE Burn Permit Information.

During certain times of the year, when fire danger is high, residential debris burning of dead vegetation is unsafe. However, homeowners should always check with their local CAL FIRE station and local air quality management agency before burning.

Visit CalFire for Details

Campfire Permits 

Designed for use on federally controlled lands including those falling under the US Forest Service, National Park Service, and Bureau of Land Management, and private lands that are the property of another person. On private lands you must also have written permission from the landowner for campfire use.

Visit Camp Fire Permit Information for Details

The Air Pollution Control District (APCD)

The Air Pollution Control District (APCD) regulates and monitors both residential and commercial burning, as well as burning on public lands within the county.

You need an APCD burn permit if you are:

  • Burning more than two acres of vegetation
  • A commercial business
  • Clearing land for development
  • A public agency clearing vegetation to maintain roads or ditches

Visit APCD for Details